We’re looking for a Group Director, Account Management to contribute to the Quarry team. Read the job description below, and if you think you’d be a good fit for the role, fill out the brief application form at the bottom of the page.
Group Director, Account Management
About the job
Do you have a passion for creating meaningful client partnerships and being a strategic advisor? Are you an exceptional client service leader with years of experience in modern marketing and a track record of success within an agency environment? Do you thrive off of working with a cross-functional team of marketing experts to build effective solutions to client challenges? Are you adept at developing, pursuing and closing organic new business? Have you established a successful track record of leading and coaching other client service professionals?
And, are you looking to contribute at a different kind of agency?
Quarry, one of the leading B2B demand marketing firms in North America is currently looking for an experienced Group Account Director to join our team in the role of Group Director, Account Management. The successful candidate will foster effective relationships with senior-level clients—many within Fortune 1000 companies; build deep knowledge of clients’ businesses, industries and customers; act internally at Quarry as a champion for our clients’ experiences with the organization and be a senior leader within the Account Management group.
To be successful, you have a personal ethos and gravitas that gives senior-level clients confidence. You are adept at managing a large portfolio of client accounts, growing revenues and realizing profitable relationships. You love learning and value “building, not climbing”, the importance of taking accountability and bringing an “in service of” approach to all client interactions.
What you’ll be doing:
- Provide senior account management leadership to a portfolio of clients.
- Nurture key relationships within assigned accounts at the leadership/executive level.
- Learn about all aspects of assigned clients’ businesses from a business strategy perspective and continuously identify ways Quarry can help build those clients’ businesses—and our own.
- Understand the agency positioning and offer strategy and champion Quarry solutions and capabilities to produce exceptional results for clients in your assigned portfolio.
- Remain constantly connected (face to face, phone, email) with assigned clients and team members, listening and responding to wants and concerns and anticipating needs.
- Lead planning, budgeting, results reporting, managing budgets, billing and forecasting for our work with your assigned accounts and support your assigned account directors in doing the same for theirs.
- Preserve, protect and grow revenue for key accounts in your portfolio.
- Monitor account portfolio profitability and growth.
- Support problem solving and risk management within account portfolio.
- Proactively identify opportunities within account portfolio.
- Lead/guide strategic account priorities, projects, activities and initiatives, championing:
- The voice of the client and voice of the customer.
- The strategic value of the project.
- Thought leadership and innovative/creative approaches.
- Positive results in alignment with client KPIs.
- Be accountable for the delivery of positive results for clients in your assigned portfolio.
- Lead, coach and advise assigned Account Directors and foster growth and development of Account Supervisors within your reporting structure.
- Attract and retain core talent and manage others to their maximum potential; developing and maintaining high levels of team effectiveness and satisfaction.
- Drive the achievement of monthly, quarterly and annual revenue targets on an overall and client-by-client basis within your assigned portfolio.
- Provide senior AM leadership to the forecasting process, aggregate client forecasts across all Quarry clients and work with Account Directors within your portfolio to find upside opportunities.
- Embrace value-based pricing and champion effective pricing practices within your assigned portfolio.
- Participates and contributes to Quarry’s new business council.
- Cultivate an atmosphere that embraces diversity and inclusion within the team and agency.
- Participate and contribute to planning sessions on key accounts with assigned portfolio.
- Lead recruitment, hiring, retention, leadership and management of individual teammates within your assigned reporting structure.
- Work with the Director, Workflow and Project Management (WPM) to ensure smooth processes and communication between Account Management and WPM.
- Champion the need for the AM group to deeply understand our clients’ business and develop deep client relationships rooted in trust and good work - providing leadership around techniques and practices related to developing understanding of a client’s business and to building effective relationships.
- Champion the need for AM to understand our services, capabilities and expertise such that they can represent them accurately and add value to related conversations and communications with clients.
- Work with Account Management and WPM teammates to ensure the right people from across the organization are engaged where appropriate to ensure projects within your portfolio of clients are effectively set up and delivered
- Champion a customer-centric perspective and “in service of” orientation for all of our work.
- Oversee and ensure that the work produced for clients within your portfolio meets our clients’ needs while maintaining the Quarry high standard of quality.
- Look for and support opportunities for the creative team and/or subject matter experts working on accounts within your portfolio to have latitude to push conventions and think big for clients.
- Work with Quarry Brand Strategists and Demand Gen Strategists to build strategies and plans for your assigned portfolio of clients that meet and exceed client goals.
- Incorporate big-picture, forward-looking thinking in all the work we produce and ensure that every tactic we execute ties back to the overarching strategy.
- Look for and create efficiencies in how work gets done and how we interact with our clients.
- Share accountability for processes, progress and the quality of our work.
- Hold weekly status meetings and oversee the maintenance of thorough documentation to ensure the entire team is coordinated.
- Participate in the trenches on specific accounts, helping the team and our clients move forward all the pieces of very large, multi-channel, multi-stakeholder campaigns, on time and on budget; for other accounts in your portfolio that you’re not directly involved in, advise your assigned Account Directors where needed.
What we’re seeking:
- Demonstrated success in building strong client relationships and oversight.
- The drive to be constantly growing revenue with existing clients and throughout those client organizations.
- Outstanding presentation skills and comfort with executive audiences, with experience playing a role in new business presentations.
- The ability to sell big ideas and concepts.
- An aptitude for learning about B2B marketing, demand marketing practices and technology.
- A growth mindset and willingness to wade into the unknown.
- Experience leading through difficult situations and negotiating tough conversations.
- A good listener, someone who reads people and those in a room well (and adapts their style and response accordingly).
- Experience overseeing agency outputs, ensuring they are on strategy, creative and of the appropriate quality.
- Strong financial management skills and high competency with managing client accounts for profitability.
- Demonstrated understanding of the cost of agency services, with ability to help value price work for clients.
- Capabilities in forecasting, budgeting and managing margins.
- The ability to identify and bring together the appropriate internal and external cross-functional teams to deliver on client needs.
- A track record of effective collaboration and inspirational leadership. The willingness to present others’ ideas with passion is a major asset.
- Thorough knowledge in many areas, including marketing; geography; information and industrial design; customer experience and cultural, political and historical matters.
- 10+ years of relevant account management experience within a marketing agency.
- 5+ years of team leadership experience.
- Budget/financial management experience.
- Proven track record on large, highly complex, multi-channel and multi-stakeholder business, with experience from strategy through to execution.
- Business-to-business experience is considered an asset; experience in technology industries would also be considered an asset.
Quarry drives demand for B2B technology clients. Our core team of 70+ modern marketing strategists, creatives, and technologists—along with a robust freelancer network—do this for some of North America’s most respected brands.
Beyond being passionate about our clients and supporting their growth, we’re passionate about creating an engaging and purposeful environment for great talent to collaborate and thrive. We’re also passionate about the environment and we live that passion through the way we’re continuously seeking to reduce our environmental footprint.
Quarry is committed to providing a work environment that is inclusive and free of employment barriers and discrimination. Accommodations will be made for qualified applicants with a disability throughout our recruitment process. Should you require accommodation at any point in the application, interview or selection stages, please contact Shelley Facey, Director, People.
Interested applicants, please send your résumé and cover letter to Shelley Facey, Director, People, at email@example.com and let us know why you think you could be the perfect fit for this role.
While we appreciate your interest in Quarry and the time you took to apply, due to the volume of résumés received, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
No agencies, please.